Thursday, August 1, 2013

Cosco Viejo

Venturing out by myself for the first time today was an exciting experience. Getting a taxi for the first time in my life was a little nerve racking, but I was confident in my haggling skills. I still got "Gringo-ed" as it was put to me. Knowing basically no Spanish, and being American, I pay higher prices than the locals. A local lady payed $1.50, I payed double. The driver asked for $7, and there was no way I was going to pay that! Tip: if they don't like your price, walk away.

Me: "Cuáto?"
Taxi: "Siete."
Me: "tres."
Taxi: "No, cico."
I start to walk away.
Taxi: :whistles: "Tres,"
Me: "gracias."

So I hop in the taxi and head to Cosco Viejo, enjoying myself the whole time. I get to the central part of the city, he parks, I pay and off I go on foot. I ran into a guy named Conrad. A older guy who moved here when he was ten years old. He knew everything about the The Old City. He showed me a shop where Americas get 15% off all items. Oh, side note, Cuban cigars are amazing!! The shop was very neat, but all I got was a cigar. More than enough for me at the time. I then ventured off to French area where I found the old dungeon, and a few vendors who had some very nice hand made times. Of courses didn't buy anything, that's not in my budget, and I don't have room in my backpack...

They are currently fixing this place up. A lot of nice buildings where people live, a bank, and restaurants are right next to abandoned buildings that look like they could fall any moment. The day they will have everything refurbished (no tearing down and rebuilding allowed) in the next ten years.

I then headed off to the local markets. Those were a site to see. Vendors EVERYWHERE! I found out the majority of the vendors are Jews, with just a small part Panamanian. A block from the local vendors is the butcher and fish markets. Didn't smell so good, but was fun to see.


After Cosco Viejo, I headed for the Canal. What to say about the canal? Amazing! Ten years to build, finished in 1913, and still going strong! A tourist trap though... While all the tourist headed upstairs for the "best view". I stayed down where you get to look up to the ships coming in just 20 yards out. Something I will never forget!

I am now back the the hostel relaxing for now. I might head off to a more Americanized area to see what's there. Who knows?...


1 comment:

  1. Wow, Mason, sounds AMAZING! Nearly 2200 miles away and sounds like a sweet version of home =) I love you! Stay safe and thanks for sharing the beauty of your experiences thus far.

    ReplyDelete